Wednesday 14 December 2011

Amsterdam

             Dutch people are amazing. I just got back from a dinner with Chris and Joke (Ken and Barbie), and I couldn’t be more grateful for their hospitality. They had Chris’s brother and his girlfriend over and we all had a delicious meal cooked by Chris. He made lasagna (lots of broccoli, onions, and fish in it, really weird but delicious) and then shoved all manner of Dutch Christmas sweets and cookies down my gullet until I was fit to burst. Chris also showed me his new guitar and his musical skills. He has some serious fingerpicking abilities, and his classical training shows in how deftly his fingers voice strange and varied chords all over the fretboard. I played them all a few of my songs as well, and great fun was had by all. I seriously can never repay these guys enough for their hospitality and warmth. The Dutch are tops in my books after tonight.
            Earlier today I went to the Anne Frank museum. Displays of massive genocide contrasted with one girl’s touching diary entries force me to think about vast ideas. How could the Nazi’s be so cruel? What should Holland before and after surrendering to the Nazis? What was it like for this family to hide silently in a house for 2 years? Maybe these questions are too much for this blog to handle.
            I have made great friends in Cocomama Hostel here. The facilities are great, and they have truly created a home instead of a hostel. I advise this hostel to any and all tourists passing through this awesome country.  

No comments:

Post a Comment