Friday 9 December 2011

Another great day in Roma

Day 3 in Rome
       I…am…exhausted. I walked around almost the whole of Rome today, from end to end in an oval. This city is huge. My day today and my night last night were made particularly enjoyable by new friends made in my room at the hostel. Last night, after travels with Stephen, I got home to crash for an hour after a tiring day of walking. I ended up not being able to sit for a moment though, as I had to go out to a pharmacy and get some essentials that the airlines made me throw away (looking at you shaving gel). When I got back, I had to switch rooms from my 4 person to a 5 person. There was only one person in there, a meteorologist named Amelia who is a third year studying at Edinborough through a Pennsylvanian University named Muller. We ended up going to dinner together, and this is a thing I really like about hostels. Everybody is about the same age and circumstances, in a foreign place with no friends, so they all end up making plans together at the drop of a hat. We went out, got an amazing dinner (my first good meal in Rome (I keep getting pizza but they keep serving it cold!)) and then got lost on the way back to the hostel for about 40 minutes. It was really embarrassing. We finally got back, got to sleep, and made plans to see the Sistine Chapel the next day.
       The next day, we started an epic trek to the Sistine Chapel, with stops along the way. The Vatican is on the complete opposite end of Rome from our hostel, and as a tourist in Rome, any long journey takes way more time when you factor in all of the random beautiful sights you end up running into along the way. Every corner has a history, and every street a surprise. We saw the Trevi Fountains, the Pantheon, and the Sistine Chapel after navigating through the Vatican Museum. I have pictures of most of these things, but it would take 10 times more words to try and describe all of the things I saw today. I hope pictures are worth 10,000, and that this blog entry will do more than whet appetites. Rome is an amazing place.

1 comment:

  1. A perfect place for vacation with family and friends especially this coming holiday season, Christmas!

    Famous Hot Springs in Brazil

    ReplyDelete